Background

Monday, March 26, 2012

For All You Wise Ones...

It's hard to believe, but in 5 weeks me and Mike will be the parents of a baby boy named Hank.

That is if he actually shows up on his due date, which according to statistics, only happens with 5% of babies out there. If my son is anything like his mother and father, he will fully support the theory of fashionably late.

However, since I am in the "countdown" phase, there are at least 100 thoughts and questions that run through my mind concerning our baby on a daily basis. Instead of doing a Google search, I thought I would try something more interactive and definitely not as frightening. WebMD anyone? Yikes!

I would love to hear feedback from those more experienced mommas out there regarding my top five "What I REALLY Need to Know Before Hank" questions.  Trust me, it was incredibly hard to narrow my 100 plus thoughts and questions down to five, but I think for me these are the most essential. I would appreciate any feedback or ideas, as I consider myself I pretty open-minded person who is not easily offended by advice, especially on a topic I know nothing about. :)

So, for those of you intrigued by this ideas, please read on and share your wisdom in a comment following this post! Also, if you are reading this through Facebook, just comment or shoot me a message.

1.  What did you or do you consider to be essential baby items to have before baby's arrival?

2. In terms of nesting, what was the most helpful OCD organization project you took on for baby's arrival? :)

3. If you could give one piece of advice about the first day/night home with baby, what would it be?

4. This one may take some humility: What is one mistake you made and what did you do to fix it?

5. What was the best advice you received prior to having your baby or babies?

I am excited to read your feedback!

Ashley

3 comments:

  1. Ok, I'm going to do my best here on a whim and try not to write you a book. Clearly, I'm still figuring all this out too! :)

    1. Clothes, diapers, a place to sleep, blankets, lanolin nipple cream (if you are breastfeeding - obviously).

    2. I had little "stations" set up all over the house - one in the nursery, one in our room, one in the family room - with blankets, diapers, a change of clothes, etc. Jeff and I were really thankful for this in those first few weeks when EVERYTHING feels like a huge project.

    3. Be easy on yourself. The first few days/weeks/months, it is easy to feel like you have no idea what you are doing. Trust your instinct and do what you thin is best. That's all you can do.

    4. I REALLY stressed myself out about scheduling Sam and following "rules" I had set for myself. I wish I had just relaxed and enjoyed those early weeks more. We fell into our own routine... eventually.

    5. Know that every baby and every mama is different. You are exactly what YOUR baby needs.

    You're going to do great girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My mother in law was the wise one who gave me this advice, but she had to give me a come to Jesus talk after Kate was born. I was in a panic when Kate was just a few days old as I was hormonal and suddenly responsible for her little life that I cared more about than anything. As I sat crying with that heavy weight on my shoulders, my sweet mother in law reminded me that Kate is in God's hands. He is the one in control of her. He is the one who gave her life and it belongs to Him. He loves her more than I do, and I just had to trust Him with her and not trust in myself. I have never felt so relieved in my life! I still think about this advice often when I start to think about the sheer weight of being a mother and how scary it can be at times. Hope it helps you too!
    Becca R.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! What excellent advice - thank you both so much! It really helps to hear from those of you have experienced being a mother. :)

    ReplyDelete